Monday, December 27, 2010

Buist Christmas Newsletter 2010



As I write we in Southern California we are having the Seattle version of” I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas”, which is I’m Dreaming of a Wet Christmas ,just like the ones I use to know.” As the rain pelts down a “dry” Christmas would be nice. Last year, I talked about going for a year of joy. Well it’s a good thing that I write these yearly letters to give my aging, forgetful brain a chance to recall the joys 2010 brought to the Buist family.

In March my dream of showing my sons one of my most beautiful places was accomplished when we went camping to Big Sur. Hats off to Don for the long drive. Life came full circle as John wore my Eddie Bauer jacket that I wore in Europe and probably on my many trips up the coast in my skinny single days. To hear my video game sons awe at the beauty and insist on stopping to see the seals was priceless. Cooking outdoors at the campground does food taste any better? We even had French press coffee. John and Benjamin enjoyed climbing trees and breathing in the beauty of the waves at the beach I first discovered and took numerous pictures of over 25 years ago.

It was Senior year for John including the prom. I commend all you mothers of daughters since getting together his matching tie and suit exhausted me. To see all the kids he grew up with all grown up was quite a sight.

It was graduation year for both boys. Benjamin graduated from 6th grade and is now a 7th grader at Santiago Middle School wearing uniforms every day. He is playing trumpet in the band, is in Honors Science and Pre-Algebra and loved his Wood Shop class. He turned 12 this summer with his annual water balloon fight.

John graduated from Elmodena High School and Grandma W was able to attend along with Grandpa B and Aunt Janet. He is attending Orange Coast Junior College and another joy is that he has free tuition. The books, however, are a different story. He took American Government, Western Civ, Economics and Calculus. In his spare time he reads Physics textbooks he has downloaded off line. These Math traits are obviously not from me as my boys remind me daily.

A highlight for me this year was being in charge of the Fathers’ Day Service at my church. I not only preached but ran the entire service, even singing a solo with the choir. My joy of the day was singing the offeratory with John who sang Stephen Sondheim’s, “Not While I’m Around”. Ever since then I’ve been known at the church as “John’s Mom.” It has been a joy sitting with John at church. Another joy was dedicating my sermon, “Stories of Our Father” to the memory of my earthly father, Dick Wennerlind with my Mom attending. Attached is a copy of the sermon I preached.

One of the strangest things this year is that my nondrinker husband Don bought a bottle of vodka. It is a project he and his sister Janet are doing to make authentic vanilla extract. So if you want to place your order now please contact him. (He is also making soup with Italian sausage – what Alien has replaced him?)

As friends are losing loved ones this year, and dear ones are facing health challenges, I am thankful that our extended families are doing well with the exception of my youngest brother David who has been diagnosed with MS and is on medication. We’re all praying for him and would appreciate your prayers. We are happy that Grandpa Hal B is healthy at 88 and Grandma Shirley W. is turning 83. We were blessed with having her stay the summer in Hemet so she was able to attend Don’s Fourth of July birthday party. She did go to the Richards family reunion in Texas for Thanksgiving so my brother Dan’s family got to spend it with her but we look forward to having her for Christmas.

I will be starting a new group called Empowering Our Sisters (EOS) where we read about global needs of women and how we can help support them to bring change. The book we will be reading is Half the Sky, Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Kristof and WuDunn. I encourage you all to read it

The Business front for both Don and I has been rough due to the Recession. Teacher jobs are not to be found but I am grateful I’m keeping busy substituting. In these tough financial times I am grateful for the health of my family, the joys that continue to come our way, and how we are blest with the love of family and friends.

We wish that you find joy even in the midst of life challenges this New Year.


MJ. For Don, John, and Benjamin Buist



PS Teaching in Santa Ana for so many years I find myself enjoying my flan singing O Come O Come “E”mmanuel with the Spanish pronunciation “A” manuel. But lest we forget Benjamin’s spelling of the reason for the season it is Je “A” sus!



No comments:

Post a Comment